This is the story of my journey trying to lose over 70 pounds, regain my life, and hopefully help others have success doing the same thing.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Not the most accurate title...

I created this blog "From 270 to 200" to chronicle my attempt to lose, well, about a third of my body weight.  Unfortunately, between the time I set it up and the time I actually started a) writing, and b) losing weight, I actually gained a few pounds.  "From 274 to 200" didn't have quite as much of a ring to it, so I left it as it was.  Deal with it.   :)

About me--I'm a retired Air Force pilot who now flies for a major US airline.  When I graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1987, I weighed 185 pounds.  I spent the next 24 years yo-yoing my weight, finally reaching 2010 at a less-than-impressive 270 (OK, 274) pounds.  Since I consider 200 to be my "ideal" weight, that puts me at about 30% above my desired weight--quite a way to go, I know.  But it's doable...

Why do this blog?  Partly to keep me focused, but also to share what works, what doesn't work, and what I learn along the way.  So I hope you find this informative, interesting, and worth your time.

I have a long way to go, but it's not hopeless.  As recently as 10 years ago, I weighed only 200.  That was after I had trained for several months for a week long, cross-state bicycle ride, and I was in about the best shape of my adult life.  When I started getting in shape for THAT, I weighed 238.  That was 38 pounds, and I did it in 4 months.  If  I were to be just as successful now, I would expect it to take at least 8 months to get back to 200 pounds again.  So I hope you're ready for a long ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment